Technically Art
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quick Time Events

4 posters

Go down

Quick Time Events Empty Quick Time Events

Post  BeyondGroovyGaming Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:29 am

Can anybody think of something to replace QTE There has got to be something thats better the mashing a button to turn a crank or dying from a half a second on screen prompt. Modern games have got really lazy about this.
BeyondGroovyGaming
BeyondGroovyGaming

Back to top Go down

Quick Time Events Empty Re: Quick Time Events

Post  Lark Dawkins Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:36 am

You could replace specified QTEs that deal with escaping a grip with random button mashing. That worked in the past and I've never heard complaints until you were required to simply press A to win. Look at the old Resident Evils, grabbed by a zambambo? Mash the fuck out!
As for action specific ones, maybe a minigame? Really its hard to do things with limited options on the controller?
Lark Dawkins
Lark Dawkins
Admin

http://larksevenzero.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BeyondGroovyGaming Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:12 am

Lark Dawkins wrote:You could replace specified QTEs that deal with escaping a grip with random button mashing. That worked in the past and I've never heard complaints until you were required to simply press A to win. Look at the old Resident Evils, grabbed by a zambambo? Mash the fuck out!
As for action specific ones, maybe a minigame? Really its hard to do things with limited options on the controller?

Motion controlls problem sloved. lol!
BeyondGroovyGaming
BeyondGroovyGaming

Back to top Go down

Post  Zakerdoodle Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:50 am

I really don't have a problem with QTEs; if they're done well, that is. For example, Resi6 had well done QTE (albeit a little too much of them) but they always prompted you to press different buttons or mash a different stick. But if it's just "mash the a button" repeatedly then I can agree with you that it would get a little lackluster.
Zakerdoodle
Zakerdoodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Lark Dawkins Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:10 pm

I don't really have a problem with QTEs either, except whenever they're used in static sequence to fight a boss. In Far Cry 3, the boss fights are done in dream sequences, but they were just these knife fight QTE sequences. Though I had fun, I felt that Ubisoft missed out on something they could've done with these fights. But a more subtle QTE exists in the game that I've used throughout the story. The Takedown. Essentially all its just a scripted QTE without an onscreen prompts, that can be linked to more events through simply just knowing the commands.
Lark Dawkins
Lark Dawkins
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lark Dawkins Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:15 am

How about this?
In context for a type of 1v1 quick encounter type of deal:
In Gears of War there is a QTE that takes place whenever two Lancer wielders attempt to chainsaw each other at the same time, where they must mash A faster than the other to win.

Now, how does this sound? (In context of a different game)
Two players attempt to melee each other, so they enter a sort of QTE. But have it in a sort of Rock Paper Scissors kind of style.
Either have three/four dedicated buttons that correspond to Rock/Paper/Scissors, and maybe with a fourth, throw in a cancel out deal? A beats B, A loses to X, A & Y cancel each other out?

OR

A fast paced duel system where you have to target arms/legs/head/torso and have cancel outs, instakill, heavy damage, recoil, or other various outcomes?
Lark Dawkins
Lark Dawkins
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BeyondGroovyGaming Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:38 pm

Zakerdoodle wrote:I really don't have a problem with QTEs; if they're done well, that is. For example, Resi6 had well done QTE (albeit a little too much of them) but they always prompted you to press different buttons or mash a different stick. But if it's just "mash the a button" repeatedly then I can agree with you that it would get a little lackluster.

I don't think twirling the stick around to lower a bridge is a well done QTE or a rewarding one. I'm insulted by the laziness of Fry Cry 3's boss fights which actually just say "Press X" That's like someone standing next to you while playing just yelling at you how beat the boss when you don't fucking need it. Now Resident Evil 4 QTE when you're grabbed are fine, because mashing the shit of the A button matchs the tension of having your neck ringed.
BeyondGroovyGaming
BeyondGroovyGaming

Back to top Go down

Post  BeyondGroovyGaming Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:40 pm

Lark Dawkins wrote:How about this?
In context for a type of 1v1 quick encounter type of deal:
In Gears of War there is a QTE that takes place whenever two Lancer wielders attempt to chainsaw each other at the same time, where they must mash A faster than the other to win.

Now, how does this sound? (In context of a different game)
Two players attempt to melee each other, so they enter a sort of QTE. But have it in a sort of Rock Paper Scissors kind of style.
Either have three/four dedicated buttons that correspond to Rock/Paper/Scissors, and maybe with a fourth, throw in a cancel out deal? A beats B, A loses to X, A & Y cancel each other out?

OR

A fast paced duel system where you have to target arms/legs/head/torso and have cancel outs, instakill, heavy damage, recoil, or other various outcomes?
These are all better then the QTE modern game devs are using
BeyondGroovyGaming
BeyondGroovyGaming

Back to top Go down

Post  BeyondGroovyGaming Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:41 pm

Lark Dawkins wrote:I don't really have a problem with QTEs either, except whenever they're used in static sequence to fight a boss. In Far Cry 3, the boss fights are done in dream sequences, but they were just these knife fight QTE sequences. Though I had fun, I felt that Ubisoft missed out on something they could've done with these fights. But a more subtle QTE exists in the game that I've used throughout the story. The Takedown. Essentially all its just a scripted QTE without an onscreen prompts, that can be linked to more events through simply just knowing the commands.
The Takedown isn't a QTE, thats like saying shooting is a QTE because your pressing a button.
BeyondGroovyGaming
BeyondGroovyGaming

Back to top Go down

Post  merryhappyness Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:03 am

BeyondGroovyGaming wrote:Can anybody think of something to replace QTE There has got to be something thats better the mashing a button to turn a crank or dying from a half a second on screen prompt. Modern games have got really lazy about this.
There is a fine art to button mashing... youre not doing it right maybe?
Try cursing a little more and gritting your teeth while hold the controller at a slight 45 degree angle. Cool
merryhappyness
merryhappyness

Back to top Go down

Post  BeyondGroovyGaming Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:26 pm

merryhappyness wrote:
BeyondGroovyGaming wrote:Can anybody think of something to replace QTE There has got to be something thats better the mashing a button to turn a crank or dying from a half a second on screen prompt. Modern games have got really lazy about this.
There is a fine art to button mashing... youre not doing it right maybe?
Try cursing a little more and gritting your teeth while hold the controller at a slight 45 degree angle. Cool
Thanks I try that. bounce bounce
BeyondGroovyGaming
BeyondGroovyGaming

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down